This year’s inductees into the Asian Hall of Fame include the director of an Asian-American comedy film, one of the members of a K-pop girl band as well as a legendary writer for Rolling Stone Magazine.
Each year’s inductees help advance cross-cultural collaboration by celebrating Asian and Indigenous legacy in the United States and globally.
Adele Lim, screenwriter of the movie “Crazy Rich Asians” and director of the film “Joy Ride” and “Rolling Stone” writer and subject of a Netflix documentary Ben Fong-Torres as well as Lalisa Maniban, member of the K-pop girl band Blackpink are among the inductees.
“Inductees and Artist Ambassadors inspire courage, character and service for the betterment of our country and humanity. We are honored to also celebrate our founding family’s 160th Anniversary in America, and the Centennial of our season partner Biltmore Los Angeles,” says Grammy Member Maki Hsieh, president & CEO of the Asian Hall of Fame.
The Asian Hall of Fame was established in 2004 by the private Robert Chinn Foundation and this year is honoring the founding family for their 160 years in the United States. In 2020, the Asian Hall of Fame became a nonprofit charity to increase cross-cultural collaboration locally and around the country. Their Maui benefit helped Kako’o Maui reach their $2 million goal. Previously, the charity distributed direct support to Monterey Park families, Ukraine refugees and the United Nations crisis fund for Turkey.
The full 2023 inductee list includes:
- Adele Lim, Cinema Director/Writer
- Annie Young-Scrivner, CEO Wella Company
- Ben Fong-Torres, Rolling Stone Icon
- Charlie and Ling Zhang, Philanthropists
- Doug Baldwin Jr, Founder/CEO Vault89, Super Bowl Champion
- Dr. Lisa T. Su, Chair and CEO, AMD
- Dr. Peter P. Lee, Immuno-Oncology Chair, City of Hope
- Dr. Shang-Li and Betty Huang, Philanthropists
- Far East Movement, Groundbreaking Artist
- Jennifer Lee, EDM Producer (TOKiMONSTA)
- Lalisa Manoban, Cultural Icon (Blackpink)
- Pin Ni, Founder & President, Wanxiang America
- Rep. Marilyn Strickland, U.S. Congress
- Sam Cho, Commissioner President, Port of Seattle
In Memoriam Inductees
- Freddie Mercury (1946-1991), Queen Icon
- Rocky Aoki (1938-2008), Benihana Founder
- Ryuichi Sakamoto (1952-2023), Legendary Composer
- Santos Manuel (1814-1919), Tribal Elder, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
Corporate Inductee: Nintendo
Artist Ambassador: Johnny Cash (1932-2003)