Global ° Remote at Culturs Lifestyle Network
EDITORIAL AND TEAM OVERSIGHT FOR MEDIA PRODUCTION
Does holding an outstanding publication in your hands make you swoon? Are you passionate about cross-cultural spaces? Are you familiar with Third Culture Kids? Do you have experience with content curation and visual storytelling? Does building community and providing a space for them to feel at home float your boat? How about overseeing creation of visual, digital and social content; networking and attending some of the world’s biggest events (film festivals, music festivals, award shows, etc.) fall within your unique zone of genius? Are you creative, strategic and like to bring people together? Love exececuting strategy and working with a team to focus on a vision that uplifts community? If so, you’ve come to the right place!
We’re looking for a talented Editor in Chief / Director of Content to execute the vision of our our award-winning digital-first magazine and robust website focused on 21st century diversity.
We seek an empathetic leader with a strong editorial background, community understanding, and team management to join our data-driven, outcomes-focused, award-winning team. Culturs has helped hundreds of thousands of cross-cultural in-betweeners feel like they belong, and this role will help us continue to broaden impact and reach while continuing to build a community that makes us all thrive.
The ideal candidate will be dedicated to audience-focused storytelling that exudes a high journalistic standard without being dry or eliminating the nuance of our community. We are a small, highly collaborative team that works to balance community needs and commercial viability with stunning visuals and excellence in our respective crafts (writing, design, visual, digital, social).
Main responsibilities for this position include overseeing a creative team including editorial, creative and digital, including project management for our editorial products. This position can be hands on while working closely with our editorial team on planning, building, testing, and executing logistics, strategy and outcomes through content creation. It oversees with our design, editorial, visuals and digital teams while ensuring all processes are aligned with social. The position’s main goal is team coordination, oversight and publication of outstanding content on all media platforms to ensure our media products grow and nourish our community. This includes working in tandem with our digital content (podcast, XOTV) and community building on social (website, social media, email). You’ll also oversee team members who communicate with internal teams, freelancers and external stakeholders and community.
Data-driven decision making with tracking and analysis of activity, audience growth, social and web campaigns and traffic built into published content and online offerings, including Culturs Marketplace, is imperative. Each week the team meets and provide brief reports to evaluate the efficacy of our content, PR, community development and marketing activities.
- This role reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- Organizational overview: CLICK HERE
- COMPENSATION: $55,000 – $83,000 + bonus DOE full time, pro-rated if part time
- Revenue share through weekly bonuses
- Unlimited time off
- Work from anywhere with approval
ROLE LEVEL EXPECTATIONS:
At Culturs, we strive for excellence rather than perfection. Community is our number one asset and our main commitment. This position is Director level.
- Individual contributor: Completes tasks provided in an efficient, effective manner with attention to detail.
- Manager: Ability to motivate self and others, oversees individual contributors and self-directs their work and that of contributors in the department level.
- Director: Oversees and motivates department and managers, creates strategy, leads teams. Brings forth knowledge and skill to assist others and excel in their areas. Works to decipher company directives and translate goals and expectations into solid deliverables.
- Executive: Provides vision in areas of expertise and aids in departmental motivation, moves company and brand forward internally and externally. Focus on company growth.
Ideally you have:
Is This You?
- 8-10 years of professional experience
- College degree in Journalism or related field
- OR minimum 12 years demonstrable success in the field without a degree
- Are part of the cross-cultural community
- A strong technical aptitude with a knowledge of technologies and processes involved with WordPress, SEO, editorial, marketing and visual strategy
- Data analysis experience and a curiosity to learn more
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong team management skills
- Strong production oversight experience
- Deadline conscious, meets goals
- Demonstrable strong writing, storytelling and visual storytelling experience
- WordPress, social media, project managing software and flat planning platform experience
- Strong problem solving and critical-thinking capability
- Ability to execute a project from start to finish independently, without being told what to do next
- Ability to focus on and achieve the goal of building our community, creating impact, and increasing deliverables
- Ability to adapt and be agile as needed in a fast-paced, growing environment
- A curious, resourceful, and solution-oriented mindset
- Excellent business judgement
- Excel at motivating others
- Have a passion for our cross-cultural, in-between community and have a global mindset
- You’re devoted to our audience, what we do, and committed to keen awareness of our processes and offerings
- Love collaborating with a team that works closely together toward specific goals
- You have direct demonstrable experience with editorial, design, social and digital
- Are deadline driven, plan ahead, and are spontaneous but strategic
- Can consider others along with your needs: What is on their plate, how your energy affects the team, can pitch in as needed, self-aware and considerate of others’ time, energy and duties
- Knows digital email marketing funnels and CRM systems or willing to learn
- Willing to work with numbers and deliver solid data analysis
- Adobe Suite, 17 hats, Co Schedule, Publer knowledge (or willingness to learn and continually upgrade your skills) a plus
- You thrive with big picture strategy thinking and also love rolling around in the details that create a plan to achieve goals and objectives
- You have a firm grasp of strategic planning, content calendars, and communication to your team so they can help you achieve goals with few “hair on fire” last minute asks
- Can roll with the punches and stay upbeat while doing so
- Are willing to pitch in to get the job done to better the internal and external community
DOES THIS EXCITE YOU?
- You’ve worked with other team members to achieve necessary goals on time and on budget
- You’re an effective, clear communicator in all formats
- You deliver, on-time, completed work without others having to ask repeatedly or finish the task for you, or to provide specific pieces — and you’re aware of what completed work that achieves goals looks like
- If you don’t know something, you research, apply knowledge gleaned, problem solve; yet ask for help when absolutely necessary
- You’re practically always on time (or early) and strive to deliver ahead of deadlines
- You have excellent project management skills and are able to juggle multiple projects while communicating honestly about your timelines, challenges, and questions
- You courageously and respectfully ask for what you need to do your job, while pitching in for team outcomes and understanding not every ask will receive agreement
- You do great work autonomously and as part of a highly collaborative team, or overseeing a team of various skill levels
- You do whatever it takes and the phrase “That’s not my job” is not a part of your vocabulary
- You’re a born GO GETTER — always looking for ways to add value, do better work, improve efficiencies, build others up, and make the world a better place
- You’re not afraid to bring new ideas to the table, even if they’re different from what’s been done before, and you speak up when you notice opportunities for improvement
- You believe everything can be achieved, and you’re confident in your ability to find solutions when you hit obstacles
- You’re comfortable and even thrive in fast-paced environments where you learn something new almost every day
- Your experience includes working for a successful company or leader in the online world (not mandatory, but a plus)
- You enjoy balancing a vibrant personal life along with a fulfilling work life
- You’re respectful, yet provide feedback as needed and in a timely fashion
As a part of our team, you’ll wear many hats and have the opportunity to help grow and shape the future of our company and develop an important, thriving global audience. The only limit is your drive, commitment and imagination.
Sound ah-mazing? JOB DESCRIPTION BELOW – Application at the end of page.
WHO ARE WE?
Culturs is a lifestyle network focused on 21st Century Cultural Diversity founded by award-winning media, marketing and multicultural focused speaker, and cultural-fluidity expert Doni Aldine. For Culturs, Aldine speaks and works globally with teams like the U.S. Foreign Service in Japan, Public Relations Society of America, NBC/Universal, Turner, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, XOTV and more. For over a decade, she served on faculty with Culturs partner, Colorado State University, teaching the Third Culture Kid-focused course “media and global culture identity” in CSU’s department of Journalism and Media Communication.
Culturs’ mission is to use media, a marketplace and resources that enhance community and foster human connection for the cultural “in-between:” multicultural, multiethnic, mixed-race and geographically mobile people like immigrants, refugees and Third Culture Kids. We provide resources to embrace your in-between cultural identity, because everyone should feel like they matter.
We do this through our award-winning media, products and experiences including Culturs print magazine, a digital magazine, e-newsletter, podcast, Cultursmag.com, CultursTV; award-winning globally minded products including our life planner system, all natural global bath and body, culturally focused dinner party kits and multicultural greeting cards; as well as, international gatherings, courses and speaking engagements provided at the University level and to major organizations worldwide, plus consulting to corporations and universities alike. We bring ALL of those media, marketplace and resource offerings together in our global immersion membership – bringing the world to your door four times each year. Our platforms reach millions of people in thousands of brick-and-mortar stores and more than two hundred countries and territories around the globe.
We hire people who are motivated by our mission, passionate about creating positive change and want to make a difference in the lives of others. Our team is remotely distributed in 17 countries on multiple continents and we care more about your work-ethic and attitude than your location.
YOU + US:
- Full autonomy over where you work, what you wear, and which pet sits at your feet
- Company closure paid time off at certain times of year
- Unlimited PTO with the expectation that there’s a plan for deliverables while you are out that is communicated with the team and your supervisor
- Potential for international travel engagements
- Potential assignment to work with or at some of the world’s most prominent festivals, sporting events, engagements and award shows
- Potential for company profit sharing
- Potential for weekly bonuses
- A family of colleagues who will make you laugh and support you every step of the way
- Philanthropic and community focus
Culturs, dba Simply Alive LLC, is an equal opportunity employer. We firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be themselves.
Simply Alive, LLC, dba Culturs, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and bases all hiring and employment decisions solely upon an individual’s qualifications relating to the requirements of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap or disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Should you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Accommodation Request – Culturs – Position Name.”
-Oversee Editorial, Social and Design teams on upcoming content, planning and execution
-Oversee digital visual content in all forms to ensure brand and vision cohesion: photography, video, social for web, social and company-driven content areas (rather than editorial content areas)
-Work with CEO, PR and oversee web distribution of press releases ensure they’re distributed in targeted outlets on our PR Newswire contract each month, as well as featured on our site
-Ensure we are translating print and web and working with Editorial and Art to repurpose content from/to podcast, video, social media, online, digital, “stories,” and newsletter and promoted through all Culturs outlets
-Oversee team’s weekly review of data analytics and regular strategizing to grow and nurture audience and audience engagement
-Oversee editorial team distribution of CultursTV and podcast offerings on the web, social and ensuring best practices are used for optimal reach, growth and community engagement
-Motivating editorial, design, web and social teams in growing our written content communities through digital marketing of our varied content online and on social
-Oversight of creation and marketing of new Culturs written strategies in tandem with the CEO
-Firm knowledge and oversight of the Culturs brand, offerings, processes and upholding them
-Firm focus and management of community growth – internally and externally
-Writing as needed, including editor’s letter, coverstories. Garnering high profile covers, coverstories and access to global events, brands and people important to our audience
-Tasks as needed to achieve goals
CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT CULTURS DIGITAL PUBLICATIONS
READY TO BEGIN?