No matter where we are located, there will always be hard times. Sometimes, these hard times drive us in to the arms of something that will always be there for us in our times of need. This best friend you never knew you had is comfort food. By definition(hyperlink), comfort food is food that provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling. In the United States we automatically associate comfort food with ice cream or macaroni and cheese but the food varies immensely around the rest of the world. Here I will take you, around the world in 10 comfort foods.
- France- Beef Bourguignon: hearty beef stew with a whole bottle of red wine
- Italy- One of the popular comfort foods in Italy is Italian sausage, spinach, and ricotta cannelloni, which is stuffed with cheese and simple red sauce.
- Canada- One of the most popular comfort foods in Canada is Poutine, which is French fries with fresh cheese curds and brown gravy smothered on top.
- Hungary- In Hungary, the popular comfort food is Shepard’s Pie, which is beef, onions, vegetables, and sweet paprika.
- Egypt- The popular comfort food is Koshary, which is lentils, fried onions, pasta, vinegar and tomato chili sauce.
- Russia-In Russia, the popular comfort food is Beef Stroganoff over buttered noodles or rice.
- Hong Kong- The popular comfort food is Pork and Prawn Dumplings that are sometimes served over rice.