Neuroscience today, is giving us lots of clues about how much our minds and how we think, influence every cell in our bodies and therefore our overall health.
If we feel that we are valued, are successfully contributing to our community and think positive thoughts about our life and other people, our bodies will respond by feeling vibrant health. This may sound all very well in theory, but the problem is that the programming of our minds occurs before the age of seven years.
By that time we quite likely have developed negative thoughts and feelings about ourselves. Limiting beliefs, such as I am not good enough, I am not wanted, or I don’t have the right to have a good life, can sap our energy and stop us from leading fulfilling lives.
Even when we have an awareness of the habits we would like to change, we have to consciously substitute a more positive thought, until it becomes automatic which takes about 21 days. This takes effort, faith, commitment and concentration. Still it can be done, and it is worth the effort in terms of our overall health and wellbeing.
Ways to create better health using mindset strategies
- Tell yourself every day that you have all the internal resources you need to succeed. (See my book, “NLP Essentials for Teachers” www.nlpessentials.com for further empowering assumptions to adopt.) You just need to have to faith that you can access your inner strength. Sure you also need to acquire skills, competences and support and so does everyone. That is how we learn.
- Surround yourself with positive, resourceful people who have your best interests at heart. Join associations, clubs and groups where such people gather. Seek out mentors and coaches that will keep you focused and on track to your goals.
- Dissolve blocks that keep your repeating old, limiting patterns. Useful techniques to adopt include NLP (neuro-linguistic programming), hypnotherapy and time line therapy.
- Study what it is that makes your heart sing (and therefore your body).Find areas of interest and enjoy being an active participant.
- Read books and listen to audios and videos to remain inspired.
- Avoid negative people, hard luck stories and media channels that are projecting fear and hatred.
- Practice mindfulness and meditation to become aware of those limiting thoughts, feelings, actions and beliefs in order to change them.
Imagine how much better your life will become over time, when you allow yourself to move outside the box you have kept yourself in!
Gaye O’Brien is a Coach, NLP Trainer, Hypnotherapist, Time Line Therapist and International Best Selling Author of “NLP Essentials for Teachers.” As a catalyst for transformational change, Gaye shares her insights in an inspirational, educational and entertaining way, with businesses and individuals who desire to make their greatest contribution to the planet and co-create a more enlightened world. www.newlifesolutions.com.au